Sunday, June 30, 2013

The "Disappointment" Pillows

'Seaglass' Findlay Pillows from Wayfair.com
These Findlay pillows were my first (and only) purchase for our new home so far.  I saw them on JossandMain.com and instantly fell in love with them, as they seemed to fit my vision for our new living room perfectly (light and dark blue, taupe and brown).  They were a little on the pricey side (at $29.99 each), but it was the day after my 28th Birthday when I ordered them, so I used some birthday gift money to pay for the four pillows.  I knew they were final sale when I bought them, but I wasn't worried, since they were so perfect.

Then, came the disappointment.

My first round of disappointment regarding these pillows wasn't even when I received them.  I ordered them on June 3rd and a week and a half later, I got an email saying they were back-ordered and wouldn't ship until June 29th.  I was afraid that by then, we might not even be living here anymore, but I decided to wait it out.  As time went on, I started to have a little buyer's remorse - mostly over the fact that I hadn't seen the home we're moving into in over a month and I felt like I was "losing" my vision a little.  I thought maybe it was pre-mature to be buying decorative pillows for the new house (ya think?!) when we'd need so many other things to get started.  A couple of weeks ago, I emailed Joss and Main and asked if I could just cancel the order and have a refund.  They said they couldn't because the pillows had already been shipped to me.

I thought, "No problem.  I did really like the pillows."  A couple of weeks went by and I checked up on the status of my Joss and Main order online and there was no real pertinent information, so I decided to email them and ask if there was any tracking information I could view.

They informed me that my package had been delivered to my doorstep five days prior - but I never got the package.  I still have no idea what happened - my guess is that someone stole the package from my doorstep, but if that's the case, it would be the first time that's ever happened to us here.

Joss and Main was actually really good about it and offered to send another four pillows to us for free, which I graciously accepted.  They were delivered to me yesterday and this time I was home to accept the package.

I quickly tore it open and was immediately disappointed all over again.  The color was all wrong - the base color wasn't white like the photo online, but a sort of a pukey yellow, but it sets off the rest of the colors in a way that doesn't make as much sense for what I was hoping to accomplish with decor for the living room.  Plus, the pillows are all deflated, but I'm hoping that's just due to shipping

Of course, since these were final sale I'm sort of stuck with them.  I'm hoping that once I see them in the new house, I'll find a way to make them work, but I think I've definitely learned my lesson here.  I need to work on planning a space better and making sure I'm committed to the item before purchasing it (especially if it's final sale).

Have you had any decor-purchase fails?  Tell me about them to make me feel better! :)

8 comments :

  1. I've had so many fails ordering things online, especially clothes, that I've been venturing out to the actual stores more and more. I also spend way less money this way, since I can actually see and feel the the items, instead of impulsively buying them online. I do still order art prints online though.

    BTW - That moss you have, is it brown or green?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely have to try doing my shopping in-person only for now until I get the hang of what I'm going for, I think. And spending less money is definitely what I'm going for!

    The moss is brown - there's probably like 10 bags of it. Let me know if you can use it and I can ship it to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn! I'm looking for green moss. Thanks anyway though! :)

      Delete
    2. Hey, no problem! Hope someone buys it all up at our Yard Sale next week! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh noooo!! What a BUMMER. I know that exact same heavy-heart feeling when you're so pumped up and think something will be perfect but then you get the big ol' wop-wop when it's not even close. :( I'm sure you'll find something even better!
    Kelly @ View Along the Way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I mean - sometimes these things turn out to be blessings in disguise, so maybe magically, they will wind up being even more perfect for a different project I tackle. Who knows?!

      Delete
  4. Disappointment is the most bitter emotion of all, and I know that all of us have experienced it at one time or another. You may yet be surprised that you will be able to use the pillows. Think about different rooms or pair them with other pillows that will bring out their best characteristics and lessen the effect of the "pukey yellow."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was mostly kicking myself because it felt like all along they weren't "mean to be." In the end, I'm sure I'll find another use for them and if not - I can always eBay them since they're unused!

      Delete